Tuesday 21 August 2012

Recovered or Omnomnomnomnom...


Now, two weeks after the return from the fell hiking trip, I finally feel recovered from the physical fatigue and the mental laziness. (As I said, it took quite a long time!) I will explain why.

Already from the first day on the hiking, I was dreaming about all the pastry I was going to gobble up when we were back: at least four danish pastries with custard, two regular doughnuts and two ball-shaped doughnuts (I think it is a special Swedish thing) with custard filling. But, on the final day, the store had only one danish and plenty regular, plain doughnuts. Even though my friends were kind enough to let me have the danish, and I had three additional doughnuts (two round, filled and one plain), it was hardly satisfying.

It was not until I had excessive amounts of pastry for two consecutive days – two chunks of pinocchio cake (pastry base, covered with whipped cream and topped with crisped meringue and almond) and a Cuban vanilla pudding the day before yesterday, and three pieces of kladdkaka (a Swedish chocolate cake, the name literally meaning “gooey cake”, because the consistency is kind of sticky; but the taste is glorious!) with whipped cream yesterday – that my subconscious cravings were satiated.

If you are curious about the kladdkaka, there is an excellent recipe on YouTube: 

It is in Swenglish (a mix between Swedish and English), but the Swedish words are quite similar to the English: kakao = cocoa; ägg = eggs; vaniljsocker = vanilla sugar; salt = salt; smör = butter; strösocker = normal, white, refined sugar; vetemjöl = wheat flour; majonäs  = mayonnaise (not an actual ingredient!). Anyhow, it is the method that is important, so observe and learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment