Friday 24 May 2013

More fossils

The day before our first exam, I was walking accross the Downs, a park-like area close to where I live in Bristol, when I saw a small patch of gravel. Just for fun, I crouched to look for some fossils. Who knows, maybe there could be something there, carried with all the rest from wherever those rocks came.

These three things I found look too much like fossils for me to think they are rocks, but too little like fossils for me to think they are fossils...

I thought: if they are not fossils, then they are the most evil-ly shaped rocks, deceptively shaped just like fossils to troll any amateur collector. Thus, logically, either these are fossils, or there is a Devil!

This looks like a rugose coral... a very short, stubby one:



This below would be one shell of either a bivalve or a brachiopod, I'm not sure...






This one has the shape just like an entire brachiopod, but virtually no surface features otherwise so typical for them.




I consulted our paleo lecturer, and she thinks that they most probably are fossils, just very diffuse and abraded.







No comments:

Post a Comment