Tuesday 12 February 2013

Giving up bad habits for lent

For lent, the period starting tomorrow and going on until Easter, during which the English (and probably many others) give up bad habits and take up good habits, I have decided to dedicate my giving-ups to making the environment better.

One thing is to stop taking uneccessarily (but oh so nice) long showers. I will not set a time limit, since then I will only be rushed and risk starting to sweat again right after, so it will all be pretty pointless. Instead, I will simply do the washing I need and nothing more. No daydreaming to the sound of pouring and splashing water and enjoying the warmth enveloping you. This just has to stop; I have had my good time so far, but now I will make a serious effort to be less wasteful with hot water.

The other thing I am giving up is puns. Puns are the most pure and wonderful type of jokes, but everyone around me seem to develop aggression issues or suicidal tendencies whenever I make a decent pun (so, on a daily basis, then). It is almost as if they are giving up hope, having lost faith in humanity and despair over their coming years of acquaintance with me.

Therefore, as an act of mercy, and as a test of my dicipline, I will also stop making puns, for the good of the people and the sake of the environment (if they turn to alcohol and drugs to drown their sorrows, they will start littering all over the place...). Making puns is sort of an instinct for me; it is a deeply rooted part of my personality, so fighting the urge to throw out these provocative jokes will not be easy.

But then again, if it was easy, there would be little point in it, and not much of a sacrifice for the greater good!

No comments:

Post a Comment