Wednesday 9 January 2013

You know you were meant to be a paleontologist when...

... you find 11 fish vertebrae in your canned salmon and get excited about it!


Any sane person would take them out, although they were so soft you could turn them to dust by sneezing...

... but only a lunatic would clean them and keep them in a jam jar!



Yep... that's me: nerdy to the bones! The frail arches (the thingies sticking out at the top and bottom) were all broken except for two when I cleaned away the flesh. What keeps stunning me is how uncomplicated the fish vertebrae are – just like a round tree stub with concave faces without any odd protuberances or projections sticking out here and there as in advanced land animals.

I will sadly not make an elaborate post out of this odd event – I have a geology exam to prepare for – but I might just pick them out any day soon and have a little fun... hehehe...

No comments:

Post a Comment