Saturday 6 April 2013

No post on the Arran fieldtrip

I am sorry to tell that during the fieldtrip to the island of Arran in Scotland the assessed work we had to do was too much to be able to take any useful photos (or fossils), and none of it makes a story worthwhile to tell here.

Our "adventures" consisted mostly of measuring angles on rocks, trying to pinpoint different rock types on messy, obscure maps, and in general trying to guess what the point of all of this is (since they wouldn't tell you what you were expected to do in the field until after you had already been there...), all under considerable time pressure leaving no time for thinking twice about anything... In other words, it was generally confusing and stressful (until the work had been handed in, marked and returned to us, at which point they told us what we should have seen and done – we understood it in hindsight, but by then it was of course already too late...).

Apart from the poorly organised formal assignments, the trip was really pleasant. The weather was nice and sunny all week, and the company was fantastic! On fieldtrips, you spend so much time with your coursemates and build stronger bonds of friendship and solidarity.

Also, this trip reminded me soooo much about the fell hiking trip in Sweden from last summer: the curvy paths interrupted by bogs and mud pools, the hilly landscapes, the abundant streams of meltwater (Arran had suffered a heavy snow storm just a week ago), the long walks, the brisk air, etc. It was great, because I will sadly not be able to go with the guys on the hike this summer.


Apart from a few instances, there are really no stories worth telling here, so I will not do more than show a few scenic images from the island mountains (which is about all I had opportunity to capture on pictures).

Instead, I want to work harder on my science post, which I have not touched in a long time, I am afraid, and hopefully I can add a few posts on paleontology topics – I feel it has been so long since I made a proper post, but my motivation is wavering, especially so close to the final exams and summer... I simply have to take this as a challenge to learn how to solve problems of lacking motivation! 







No comments:

Post a Comment